Shiri Me! » The Blog

         Art • Craft • Design

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First post!

Yay! This is my first official post on blogger. I have used several blogging sites in the past and to this day still maintain one on xanga.com, but I've decided that I need a new one, to showcase my artistic side. I was really inspired by the blog KirinCo (sp?) (will have to find it and add it to my list of faves or whatever you call it here), so here is mine! I didn't realize how many crafty blogs there are around here.

I think my former art teacher showed me a bunch of links to crafty blogs, and it's probably still archived under all my old e-mails. Ah well... as long as it's still there, I'll find it again.

Anyway, a little about me. Name is Shirley, decided to call this blog "Shir Me!" using the first syllable of my name and then just added the "me!" part for fun! I was dallying with Shiri (nickname from a former friend), ShirLei (after my own name, Shirley Lei), but came up with Shir Me! (I like the 'small' hint of self-centeredness that this name gives). What do you think?

Continuing on... I'm currently a third year studying social welfare at UC Berkeley and if you ask me, I don't know what I'm going to do with my B.A. in social welfare because you need AT LEAST a B.S.W. (not a B.A.) to hold a job as a real, semi-real social worker. I guess I could be a counselor. Poo-poo. Although I'm all for social justice, liberation, freedom, equality (gender, racial, what have you), rights for the underprivileged, and what not, my first passion lies in the arts. Not so much fine art, but the crafts. Some may call it the 'lesser' of the arts, but I think it is a fine type of art.

So you've got a bit on me, in the days to come (when I am not busy managing a household of 40 women - myself included - at my cooperative house, or attending classes and attempting to catch up on zillions of hundreds of pages of reading), I will be putting up of same artsy fartsy things I've created in the past year. I wish I were home right now so I could take more pix of things I've created this summer. Oh well. Your eyes will just have to feast on less for now.

Toodles!

No comments: